Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 16:11:19 +1000 (EST)
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        bsd@smmcroute.smmc.qld.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Khelbin Sunvold <khelbin@ntplx.net>
Subject:   Re: BSD newbie installer...almost ready

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997 bsd@smmcroute.smmc.qld.edu.au wrote:

> By the" system file thing" I have read that in order to make major
> changes to FreeBSD setup e.g. modems etc... I need the system files
> etc...Is it to do with a kernel re-build (whatever a kernel
> is...looks a bit like a windows 95 registry?)
> So I guess I need to know if I need to setup the full system files in
> the install program.

Yikes, forget the term "system file", it'll only confuse you! (and us)
If system files were like St Peter at the gates, the kernel would be the
Heart of God. You have to rebuild it from its blueprint. Very carefully.
Make sure you elect to install the "kernel sources" when installing (or later).

Fortunately it's not as hard as it sounds. Study the on line handbook
carefully while viewing LINT and GENERIC which it tells you about.
Take it slow and steady and it's not so bad do it on rare occasions.
I succeeded on my first FreeBSD day, probably why it still scares me :-)

Your kernel will be built to work in concert with your hardware, almost meld
with it, so radical changes to hardware often require a new (edited and
recompiled) kernel. Swapping modems is normally fine because it's the com
ports that the operating system owns. Drives, cards, etc are radical changes.

There's more to know but I hope this simplistic explanation helps a
bit :-)

Regards,
        -*Sue*-