Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 1997 14:21:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jacob@jblhome.ping.dk
Cc:        ssigala@globalnet.it, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My FreeBSD Wish List...

 * Well, actually there is. After compiling and installing the X11
 * distribution, you teach Imake to install future programs/libs/header
 * files/whatever in another tree; you teach Imake to look for include
 * files, libraries, whatever in the old tree too.

Of course.  That's what I said -- we need to change the Imake config
to make it happen.  It is conceivable that we ship our releases with
those tweaked Imake config files.

However, I don't think it is feasible for us to stray away from the
standard X11R6/XFree86 distributions in such a major way.  That is
bound to cause too much confusion ("help, I installed the new XFree86
from ftp.xfree86.org, and my X ports don't work!!!").

If enough people request the XFree86 folks, maybe they will change
it.  But let me reiterate, this is no a FreeBSD ports issue, it is an
XFree86 issue, so please don't bring it up here.

Satoshi