Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:36:17 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, jeker@n-r-g.com
Subject:   Re: New natd available

Andre,
could you briefly comment how the new libalias+natd differ
(or are planned to differ) from the old one -- e.g. do
they implement keepalives, move-to-front of sessions in the
hash chains, fixe to known bugs in the old one ?

One common complaint with the old libalias is that
performance tends to trash with time -- this seems to be
due to the very long timeout (24hrs ?) for sessions, coupled
to the fact that newly created sesssions are appended to
the end of the hash chains so over time the lookup times
tend to become larger and larger.
One easy fix to this behaviour is to move to the front of
the hash chain a session descriptor upon a successful lookup.
This keeps fresh sessions near the head of the chain while
stale ones drift towards the end.

	thanks
	luigi