Date:      09 Nov 2002 09:30:24 +0100
From:      Markus Landgren <ei1lama@chl.chalmers.se>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NVidia Drivers Released !

On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 22:33, Bernhard Valenti wrote:
> are they working for anyone?
> hangs at the nvidia splashscreen for me... sig11 in the X logfile, and th=
en
> i cant get back to console :(

They are (almost) working for me, on my GeForce2 MX. I can start X just
fine, and I used astro/celestia to try out OpenGL and it worked. BUT...

Notice: Before anyone wastes any time on my problem, please note that I
was impatient and installed the driver on a 4.7-PRERELEASE system, even
though the driver documentation requests 4.7-STABLE. So I suppose any
problems may be my own fault. (I have since cvsuped RELENG_4_7 and I am
building it right now to see if that helps.)

Anyway, here is my problem in case anyone knows how to fix it:

My keyboard does not behave like it used to. I can't type the Swedish
characters "=E5,=E4,=F6" anymore. And even more annoying, "|" is also gone.
All these characters display just fine on the screen, it's just typing
them that is broken. Being a newbie, I am not very experienced in
diagnosing such a problem, but my first reaction was that this problem
must have been caused by upgrading XFree86 from 4.2.0 to 4.2.1 and not
by installing the nvidia driver. "How could the graphics driver affect
keyboard input?" But apparently I was wrong, since going back to the old
nv driver gave me my old keyboard behavior back.

Is the nvidia driver causing this, or is it something else?

Here are the changes I made to my XF86Config (changing between these two
configs is all that is necessary to make my national characters
stop/start working):

  [markus@krell /etc/X11]$ diff XF86Config XF86Config.nv=20
  57c57
  < #    Load       "glx"