Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2003 18:26:34 -0700
From:      "Brent Wiese" <brently@bjwcs.com>
To:        "'Oleg Semyonov'" <os@front.ru>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: IPSec+VPN+ipfw questions

A few things come quickly to mind...=20

First, you need "gateway_enable=3DYES" in your rc.conf... I think. I =
know you
need it for MPD (pptp tunneling).

Second, you cannot have physical routes to the remote side "private"
network.

> 1) Is it possible to use ipfw rules to count different kinds=20
> of traffic from legitimate computers, divert it to natd and=20
> block all other packets across the LAN? There are ESP=20
> protocol packets which I can filter, but it seems they are=20
> not processed after decryption by ipwf rules. So, no=20
> counters, no divert, etc.

You should use ipfw to, at the very least, only allow legit tunnel =
traffic
to pass to/from the "public" and "private" NICs/

> 2) What is the best solution for IKE daemon? I've tried=20
> racoon (it works but there are some strange situations with=20
> Windows 2000 machines which are mentioned somewhere), and=20
> isakmpd (it has not very obvious syntax for their policy and=20
> conf files - how to create a minimal working configuration=20
> for a number of peer machines which use different preshared=20
> keys for IKE exchange)?

Racoon works fine if set up correctly. Most of the FAQ's are wrong,
espcially when they discuss setting up gif() and then racoon. You don't =
need
gif(). I seem to remember something about using MD5 as the hash, but its
been a while... Maybe it was that my router only supported MD5 for its
vpn-passthru stuff...

> 3) In fact, it is not required for me to use VPN solutions.=20
> All I need is to authenticate each legitimate machine (or=20
> user - that is better). IP+MAC addresses may be forged. I can=20
> use socks proxy, but there is no standard secured=20
> authentication which is suported by number of different=20
> internet tools. And I don't wish to have a complicated setup=20
> of each client machine. So, VPN seems to be the best solution=20
> as their policies for W2K clients may be specified via Active=20
> Directory.

IPSEC is probably the best way. Since the other side is Windows, you may
consider using MPD and use PPTP instead of IPSEC. It's a little easier =
deal with on the Windows side since setup is all gui-wizards.

Cheers,
Brent