Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 19:45:20 -0500
From:      Stephen Becker <sbecker@umr.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   sound card...

    Hello, I just installed the FreeBSD release 3.3 and have been trying
to get my sound to work right.  I have an ESS 1688 card (which is an
SB Pro clone).  The OSS driver for it does work, but I'd rather have
kernel support without having to reload the sound driver every 3 hours.
So, I read a few readmes and found out the proper sound card lines in
the config file.  It does work using sb0, but any mp3's played with that
sound real fuzzy and soft.  From going through the mailing list
archives, it appears I have to use the pcm0 device to get it working
properly, yet when I try this option in the kernel config file the
actual compiling of the kernel fails with too many errors to send in
this email, but some of there are here:

dmabuf.o: In function `dsp_wr_dmaupdate':
dmabuf.o(.text+0x68): multiple definition of `dsp_wr_dmaupdate'
dmabuf.o(.text+0x68): first defined here
dmabuf.o: In function `dsp_wrintr':
dmabuf.o(.text+0xa8): multiple definition of `dsp_wrintr'
dev_table.o: In function `start_services':
dev_table.o(.text+0x56): undefined reference to `DMAbuf_init'
soundcard.o: In function `sndpoll':
soundcard.o(.text+0x2f7): undefined reference to `MIDIbuf_poll'
soundcard.o: In function `sndattach':
soundcard.o(.text+0x629): undefined reference to `DMAbuf_init'
sound_switch.o: In function `sound_read_sw':
sound_switch.o(.text+0x52d): undefined reference to `MIDIbuf_read'
audio.o: In function `set_format':
audio.o(.text+0x4b): undefined reference to `DMAbuf_ioctl'
audio.o: In function `audio_open':
sequencer.o: In function `seq_local_event':
sequencer.o(.text+0xfa9): undefined reference to `DMAbuf_start_devices'
*** Error code 1

Stop.

The sb0 line of:
device sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 does compile fine, but
again, everything sounds horrible.  The pcm0 line I am using is:
device pcm0     at isa ? port? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x0
Anyone have any ideas?

Stephen Becker