Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 12:22:13 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams), Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Archive pruning

At 2:22 PM -0600 2000/4/25, Nate Williams wrote:

>  I consider you a very small minority.  A user who is not a developer,
>  but who could be a developer.  The amount of work it would take to
>  support your needs is way too much work, and it would only benefit <
>  1-2% of the user base.  Does this mean we don't care about all our
>  users?  Of course not, but when the same amount of time/effort can
>  positively effect > 50% of the user base, then it makes more sense to
>  spend the time more wisely.

	Not that I really want to be seen as being on the same side of
the argument as Richard, but there is an issue I think you've ignored
-- current versus potential future customers.

	When you look at current customers (at least, the ones that are
vocal enough to express an opinion), you get the sorts of numbers you
have expressed.  However, when you compare this against potential
future customers, I think you could very quickly find that the people
who currently appear to be the vocal majority instead find themselves
to be a vocal minority.

	I see this as being the same sort of problem that is faced by the
"Moral Majority" crowd.  IMO, they are neither moral nor a majority,
but they are exceptionally vocal, and quite good at shouting down
people who oppose them, and making sure that most of the real
majority never even thinks of stepping into the debate simply because
they don't want to have to deal with these bozos.

	Not that I want to equate the people who have taken the opposite
view as being a "Moral Majority" or anything, just that there is a
similar problem that I think has to be recognized, and we have to try
to find some way to address it.