Date:      Sat, 06 Nov 1999 23:44:19 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "D. Rock" <rock@dead-end.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sio working

In message <3824CCD1.C07B6A8@dead-end.net> "D. Rock" writes:
: device          sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
: device          sio1    at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3

These look good.  IIRC, the kernel I tested with also had:

device		sio2	at isa? port IO_COM3 irq 5 disabled
	or
device		sio2

in it, but I may be misremembering.  Just make sure that you use the
config entry that gives you a port at 0x3e8, since most laptops have
COM1 and COM2 which really cannot be disabled (well, the BIOS says you
can disable them, but I've seen a few where the BIOS disabling is
broken).

: #options                EXTRA_SIO=1

This is totally bogus and should never ever be used.  Better to remove
it completely from your config file, lest the temptation is there to
use it.

: options         HZ=500

I don't think this option will work, but I don't think that's what is
breaking things.

Warner