Date:      Thu,  5 Dec 96 13:04:13 +0700
From:      "Victor A. Sudakov" <victor@vas.tomsk.su>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, softweyr@xmission.com
Subject:   Re: "talk" does not work. Please help.

>   > The following works:
>   >
>   > ping localhost
>   > telnet localhost
>   >
>   > This DOES NOT work:
>   >
>   > ping vas.tomsk.su
>   > telnet vas.tomsk.su
>   >
>   > I think this is where the problem is. There is no route and no
>   > interface for 10.0.0.1
>   >
>   > But I have no idea how I could tune the appropriate interface.
>   > I have tun and sl devices compiled into the kernel but I have
>   > only dynamic IP address so I cannot have something like
>   > ifconfig_tun0 in my /etc/sysconfig. Or can I?
>   >
>   > I would very much appreciate any input especially from those
>   > people who do not have a permanent IP address and no local
>   > network. How do you tune your /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig?
>
>   The simplest solution may be to buy a cheap ethernet card and give
>   that a permanent address, say 192.168.1.1.  Give this interface
>   a name in your /etc/hosts file and make this the system name.

This is a wonderful idea. Thanks a lot.

However, do you think it will work even if the ethernet card is
not physically connected with another one? And how can I make
sure that this address is not visible to the outside world when
I use ppp?

And another question, connected with the previous one. Perhaps
I will set up a small local area network with several FreeBSD
boxes. They will be given fake addresses like 10.0.0.1,
10.0.0.2 etc. One of the boxes (say 10.0.0.1) can use ppp via a
telephone line, with a dynamic IP address.

Is it possible to configure the LAN so that when 10.0.0.1 is
online, all the boxes on the network will be able to work in
the Internet? If yes, how do I do it?

>   UNIX is showing its age in this area; the mapping between the
>   system name and multiple, perhaps temporary IP addresses is not
>   well thought out.

There are a lot of people now who do not even seem to have a
hostname, but use PPP and have an address like user@host.com. I
think they cannot use unix at all, can they?

---
Victor A. Sudakov                          E-mail: victor@vas.tomsk.su
Center of Information Technologies         FidoNet: 2:5005/49
Tomsk Region Education Department          Telephone: +7 3822 224916
Tomsk, Russian Federation                  Telefax:   +7 3822 225912