Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 1996 16:51:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brant M. Katkansky" <bmk@transport.com>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        bmk@transport.com, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound Blaster 16 PnP

> Brant wrote:

> > > Meanwhile, you can use the board as long as you first boot up DOS to
> > > configure it.  Then reboot into FreeBSD via CTRL-ALT-DELETE.  Don't
> > > reboot via the reset button, or you'll probably unconfigure the board
> > > again.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I've tried this and I can't get it to work this way
> > either.

> Strange, it works for me.

> > I've also tried some alpha ISA PNP patches, and although the PNP probe
> > sees and claims to initialize the card, the standard probe still fails.

> Just a hunch, but this really sounds like a problem with your kernel
> configuration, rather than a problem with the PnP stuff.  Once DOS gets
> the hardware configured, it ought to stay configured as long as there is
> power to the board.  (Or, at least, until the next hardware reset.)
> Likewise for the alpha ISA PnP patches.  I have a hunch that the board
> really is configured OK, but your kernel is not configured right to see it.

> Are you using the standard SB16 addresses and interrupts?  Did you
> notice the warning in "/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT" about that?

The only thing I've changed is sb0 is on irq 5 in my system.

>     # Beware!  The addresses specified below are also hard-coded in
>     # i386/isa/sound/sound_config.h.  If you change the values here, you
>     # must also change the values in the include file.

> For what it's worth, here are the relevant lines from my own (working)
> config file:

>     # SoundBlaster-16
>     controller      snd0
>     device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 drq 1 vector sbintr
>     device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
>     device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
>     device opl0     at isa? port 0x388

> Note, I disabled the parallel port interrupt (IRQ 7) to avoid a
> conflict with this configuration.

I can't disable the irq7 in my system.

> Here are the probe messages I get from "dmesg":

>     sb0 at 0x220 irq 7 drq 1 on isa
>     sb0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
>     sbxvi0 at 0x0 drq 5 on isa
>     sbxvo0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
>     sbmidi0 at 0x330 on isa
>      <SoundBlaster MPU-401>
>     opl0 at 0x388 on isa
>     opl0: <Yamaha OPL-3 FM>

Here's my kernel config:

controller	snd0
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
device opl0     at isa? port 0x388

Here's the dmesg output:

Apr 26 06:16:14 everest /kernel: sb0 not found at 0x220
Apr 26 06:16:14 everest /kernel: sbxvi0 not found
Apr 26 06:16:14 everest /kernel: sbmidi0 not found at 0x330
Apr 26 06:16:14 everest /kernel: opl0 not found at 0x388
Apr 26 06:16:14 everest /kernel: joy0 at 0x201 on isa
Apr 26 06:16:14 everest /kernel: joy0: joystick

And before you ask, yes, I'm sure that my SB is configured as shown
above.

One other thing: the card isn't recognized under Windows 95 either,
unless I load the Intel ICU device driver (for DOS).

Strange, eh?