Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:45:25 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.Technion.AC.IL>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Going through a SOCKS firewall

Hi,

I'm having a really annoying problem, which I hope is just the result of
something stupid I'ev done: I have a machine that's behind a SOCKS v5
firewall. I installed 4.2-RELEASE on it, and also installed
ports/net/socks5. However, I can't get any application to go through the
SOCKS firewall. There are two distinct behaviors I see: applications that
come pre-socksified (like rtelnet) simply fail to connect. If I try to do,
say 'rucnsocks telnet' to socksify the standard BSD telnet, it seems to be
having problems doing DNS resolution, as telnet tries to connect to
0.0.0.1, no matter what host name I give.

The same machine, running Winblows NT has no problem crossing the firewall
(say, using Netscape).

Clues anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Nadav