Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:18:16 +0200
From:      Stefan Sperling <stsp@stsp.name>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CPUTYPE in general - was Re: Which CPUTYPE for a dualcore Xeon on AMD64

--eHhjakXzOLJAF9wJ

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 12:45:37PM -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>  Also, does setting CPUTYPE make a lot of difference to performance?

I don't notice any difference in performance on my Athlon xp 2400
box if I set CPUTYPE=3Dathlon-xp vs. leaving it alone.

YMMV though, ask the gentoo people :)

> Right now I have no CPUTYPE set at all.

Also leaving CPUTYPE unset means I can plug the system disc into any
other old x86 box without hitting illegal instructions.
In case my motherboard fries itself again some time like the old one
did a few weeks ago I'll be glad I can do this.

--=20
stefan
http://stsp.name                                         PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0

--eHhjakXzOLJAF9wJ