Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 1996 14:09:22 +0100 (MET)
From:      Piero Serini <piero@strider.ibenet.it>
To:        LONGDONG@UICVM.CC.UIC.EDU
Cc:        Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Hackers' List)
Subject:   Re: HIGWAY ROBBERY!!

Dear sir,

I  don't  speak  for the FreeBSD core team, and I don't speak for
any person, organization or company, living, resident, or  incor-
porated under any law in the USA or in other countries.

That  said,  I'd like to address your complaint about the O/S you
say you tried and install on your computer.

Quoting from LONGDONG@UICVM.CC.UIC.EDU (Wed Jan  3 17:58:37 1996):

> DEAR SIRS AND FELLOWS,
>
> I HAVE BEEN UNDUELY ROBBED BY YOUR INCOMPETENT PRODUCT.  DURING INSTALL IT
> DELETED ALL MY DOS GAMES AND PROGRAMS I SPENT YEARS GETTING FROM FTP AND
> FSP SITES!!

"ROBBED". From the Oxford Dictionary:
(HTML tags are used to represent different fonts in the original
book)

"
<B>rob</B> v.t. (<B>-bb-</B>) deprive (person etc.) of or <I>of</I>
property by (threat of) violence, feloniously plunder (person or
place, <I>of</I>), deprive <I>of</I> what is due or normal;
(examples and derivatives deleted).
"

I  can't see any violence, threat of violence, or felonious plun-
der in any FreeBSD-related code, executable and/or documentation.

> HOW DARE THIS TREACHERY BE UNLEASHED ON MY HARD DRIVE!  WHO WILL PAY ME FOR
> THESE LOSSES...WHO WILL HELP ME TO REGAIN MY PRECIOUS PROGRAMS??

You  will  pay  yourself. In the installation instructions and at
least twice during the actual installation  the  user  is  warned
about  the  risk  of  loss  of  data. You are repeatedly asked if
you're sure to proceed, and you're  advised  to  perform  a  full
backup  of  your hard disk before committing FreeBSD to your hard
disk. If you tell the computer to proceed,  you  are  responsible
for your actions. As far as I know, the standard PC has no way to
read in your mind and decide that you issued the wrong command.

> THIS WILL NOT GO UNCHALLENGED...I SHALL SEEK PUBLIC AGENCIES TO COMBAT
> YOUR FAULTY PRODUCT THAT INTENTIONALLY DESTROYS HARD DRIVES.

Again,  there is no part whatsoever in FreeBSD that *intentional-
ly* destroys hard drives. I don't know about the  USA,  but  pub-
licly  stating  false and/or deceptive sentences, with or without
explicit intent to defame or slander a person, organization, com-
pany or institution is a crime in many countries and can be pros-
ecuted both under civil and penal law. You are warned.

> HAVE YOU HEARD OF THE BETTER BUREAUS OF BUSINESS?

See above.

> WHEN WILL THE LITTLE GUY BE HEARD??!!

When will he shut up and think before speaking or writing?

> oh, and do please, all of you...have a happy new year. :)

You too, sir.

> SpUnk3Y

Bye,
--
#        $Id: .signature,v 1.12 1995/08/14 12:10:54 piero Exp $
Piero Serini                                            Via Giambologna, 1