Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 14:54:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Bob K <melange@yip.org>
Cc:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up!  /etc/rc.conf.site is dead.

:>     Now we have /etc/defaults/rc.conf, /etc/rc.conf, and /etc/rc.conf.local.
:>     Considerably less simple and quite unobvious.
:
:Erm...  I thought that the point of /etc/defaults/rc.conf was that one
:wouldn't touch it, and only work with rc.conf?
:
:(Haven't looked at the change myself, as my test machine is dead at the
:moment)
:
:melange@yip.org - Shave A Tree Today! (TM)

    Yah... kinda like nobody is supposed to touch /etc/rc, eh?

    /etc/rc		- no touchee
    /etc/rc.conf	- no touchee

    /etc/rc.local	- touchees
    /etc/rc.conf.local	- touchees

    That seems pretty obvious to me.

    I'm still partial to my /etc/rc.conf.N idea, where /etc/rc.conf.0
    is a no-touchee and /etc/rc.conf.9 is the 'user can do whatever he wants
    with this file' touchee.  The site configurator would mess with
    /etc/rc.conf.2.  A post-install gui configurator would mess with
    either /etc/rc.conf.2 or /etc/rc.conf.3.

					-Matt

					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>