Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 14:09:01 -0500
From:      David Smith <dvsmith@bigpanda.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dvsmith@bigpanda.com
Subject:   Sockets stuck in CLOSE_WAIT

I am writing a server on a FreeBSD machine., and am having problems with
sockets which are stuck in the CLOSE_WAIT state.

I usually notice this error when I kill the server, and try to start it
again, it gives an "Address in use" error, because there is a socket on
the port,. in the CLOSE_WAIT state.  But the program that had that
socket open is no longer running.  So, why isn't the socket being closed
when the process terminates?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

David Smith