Date:      Fri, 8 Jul 2005 00:06:47 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@freebsd.org>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best processor for multimedia?

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 03:08:45PM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> I'm thinking of building a new, quite fast system for multimedia,
> notably displaying MPEGs.  I'm currently using mplayer on an Athlon
> 1700, and from time to time there are hiccoughs.  Processors are cheap

apart from the obvious optimizations (such as using  mplayer compiled
for the specific flags for your CPU) i believe the hiccups are more
likely due to CPU and disk not being available when you need, rather
than raw CPU speed (above a certain level, that is).  I'd try to
tweak process priority and things such as HZ and kern.quantum.

Also having direct access to the frame buffer helps a lot, but
i think most video cards do support that now (possibly the
'expensive' cards might be a worse deal due to lack of sw support!)

	cheers
	luigi