Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 06:58:47 -0500
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
To:        Mike <mike@adept.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux emulation crashes  (was: Re: Softupdates disappears?)

I finally figured out my problem after quite a few reboots, and
forcing a few crash dumps.

It turns out that I had an old linux_base port installed, and when the
/usr/sbin/linux script ran /usr/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig the version
I had, for whatever reason, wound up calling the reboot() system
call.

After a pkg_delete and a fresh install of the port, the problem
went away.

One odd thing, due to some outdated files in /etc/defaults (I think), I wasn't
even building the linux module and installing it.  The kldload was failing,
but attempting to run the bad ldconfig still caused the machine to crash.
FreeBSD syscall # 55 = reboot, Linux syscall # 55 = fcntl.  I wonder
if something in exec needs fixing to not run linux binaries if the
emulator isn't present.  The up-to-date linux ldconfig core dumps
when the linux emulator isn't present.

-Mike

--
Mike Pritchard