Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 12:23:09 -0500 (COT)
From:      Buliwyf McGraw <buliwyf@libertad.univalle.edu.co>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipnat and icmp (II)

> >  Question: Can i do masquerade for icmp packets using ipf/ipnat???
> >
> >  For example:
> >        A                        B
> >        _                        _
> >       |_|    Ping Request      |_|
> >       ---    for hotmail       ---             -->    Internet
> >       ---        -->           ---
> >   192.168.1.5                Real IP
> >                             Using ipf/ipnat
> >   |_________________________________________|
> >        My Intranet, where the server B
> >        do ip masquerade for all the subnet
> >        192.168.1.0
>
> If you mean "does ipf/ipnat translate ICMP packets properly?" the answer is
> yes.

  What i want to know is what rule i need to use in Server B, if i want to
  do a traceroute/ping from 192.168.1.5 to www.hotmail.com, i dont care if
  the answer for the request come from server B, what i want is to know if
  some server on Internet is alive.
  Can i do this with ipf/ipnat?

  I tried something crazy, like:

  map ed0 192.168.0.0/16 -> 240.1.0.0/24 portmap icmp 10000:20000

  Obviusly, it doesnt work :/

  Im looking for instructions about it, but in the examples i saw, always
  talk about NAT for tcp/udp, never icmp. It is possible?

  Thanks for any help.