Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 23:53:03 +1000 (EST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cpn@dpac.tas.gov.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sendmail problem

Hi all,

just a quick question re a problem with sendmail.  I have a BSD server set
up as a web proxy and mail server connected to the internet via a ppp
dialup.  The problem is that I can send mail from the server directly, but
can't send mail from any client machines on the LAN.  The error I get with
sendmail is as follows:

Aug 10 17:39:57 bsd sendmail[19095]: RAA19095: SYSERR: putoutmsg
([192.168.100.180]): error on output channel sending
"250 <g_packer@calvin.edu.au>...Sender ok": Broken pipe
Aug 10 17:39:57 bsd sendmail[19095]: RAA19095: lost input channel from
[192.168.100.180]

The client machine IP is 192.168.100.180, the server IP (configured in the
mail client) is 192.168.100.11

Mail can be delivered to the client machines via the POP server without
problems.

Do the client machines need to have DNS entries or is there some other
problem?

cheers,
Carey Nairn