Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 1995 17:07:39 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE
Cc:        tyork@vt.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot manager problems

Christoph Kukulies stands accused of saying:
> > configuration and then reboot.  The boot manager menu comes up with only one
> > choice - DOS.  I thought at this point I was supposed to be able to choose
> > FreeBSD as well as DOS.  Any thoughts?

Sounds like you have something funny going on...

> > 1 GB WD IDE hard drive (none of which is being used for FBSD)
>   ^^^^
>   It sounds like you didn't specify a DOS/BIOS conformant disk
> geometry. Divide the number of sectors reported from the autoprobe
> during boot through 2048. This gives you the number of cylinders
> you should use. Then specify 64 heads, 32 sectors.

That's actually totally off beam; there's no FBSD on that disk, Chris 8)

> > 340 MB WD IDE hard drive (60 MB partioned to FBSD and mounted as "/")
> > 210 MB WD IDE hard drive (16 MB for FBSD swap partition, rest as a FBSD
> > partition and mounted as "/usr")

Hmm. Three IDE disks.  How are you doing this? Are they parhaps on your
secondary IDE controller?  The BIOS knows nothing about this port when it
comes to booting, so if that's the case, that's your answer.

> The swap is a little bit tough, though. Make your / partition 40MB
> and give a little bit more to swap (36MB).

Spot on there; 16M is a good size for swap on a 4M machine; I'd recommend
between 2 and 4 times your RAM in swap.

> >  -> Thayer York
> --Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[