Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 1996 19:00:56 -0600
From:      dubois@primate.wisc.edu (Paul DuBois)
To:        sithoa@ecs.csus.edu (Allen Sitho)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System Commander 3.0 and FreeBSD 2.1.5

Allen Sitho writes:
>         I have installed System Commander and was trying to install
> FreeBSD 2.1.5.  The installation went fine; however, when I try to boot
> FreeBSD using the menu I get the message "Read Error".  It seems like
> the system searches the a: for a while and then gave up.  I installed
> using a CD but can't find the file atapi.flp so I used boot.flp.  I have
> tried almost everything (install straight from the CD;  write to the
> MBR;  uninstall System Commander ...).  I am trying to boot it off the
> second EIDE drive.  The first EIDE is win NT.  Please help me if you have
> any clue as I am really under the gun to do this.  Thanks a bunch!
> (oh, i use Walnu Creek CD)

I don't think you can boot FreeBSD off the second IDE drive.  I tried
installing on a second drive, too, but I couldn't ever get it to boot
correctly.

I take it you want to use the second drive because your entire first
drive is a single NT partition.  I had a situation like that, and used
Partition Magic to shrink the partition (running it from a DOS boot floppy),
which gave me space to put a FreeBSD partition on the first drive.

It's not necessary to write the MBR during the FreeBSD install; when you
restart, System Commander will notice a new system in the partition.
I don't remember that I had to do anything special to get it to present
that partition as a boot choice.

--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu