Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 17:45:27 +1100
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: login classes

>  But if the shipped defaults does not work for most people, shouldn't
>  the shipped defaults change?

Sorry, but I don't class one or two problems as "most people". In fact,
the defaults do seem to work for "most people". Of course it won't
suit everyone.

I run a single-user system here with the default login.conf and the
only allowance I make for login classes is to invoke xdm via limits(1)
to force use of the "xuser" resources. xdm should be handling this
itself, but doesn't yet. Similarly, ppp and pppd running in server mode
with auto-login (ie. invoked from getty) should use a class of its
own rather than daemon which is inherited from getty.

>  are used as single-user machines, so maybe we should ship it with
>  more relaxed limits? At the moment the shipped defaults does not
>  seem to work for anything that I have, which is news servers, web
>  servers, development servers, mail servers or personal machines.

"news" has a class of its own. The default startup for inn should
use it, which is up to the port maintainer to do. I'm not sure what
problems you're having with web servers, since in addition to the
servers I run I have several clients, some of whom are receiving
20000+ hits per day and running 90-100 virtual domains, all using the
standard daemon resources. The only problem I've ever run into
is with named on a machine with lots of ip aliases, and only then
if you do a restart. This is actually a problem with named which
I believe has been fixed in the 8.x releases, but not with the
one in FreeBSD.

Samba I have no experience with whatsoever. Perhaps it is a special
case that needs some attention by whoever integrated it into
FreeBSD.

Which *specific* limits are you running into problems with?

Personally I think that conservative limits are better as defaults,
if, in fact, they are conservative limits - those originally
committed where less than what they are now. Better to fix it on
a per-machine basis as required than have complaints that users
on a public system are easily able to crash the system by doing
fork() bombs or similar.

Regards,
David