Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 10:49:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        ringlord@bbs.dcoisp.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Accessing files with spaces in the names.

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998 ringlord@bbs.dcoisp.net wrote:

> Greetings folks.
> I just received a zip file from a client, which contains a series of
> files with spaces in the file names.

> For example, when I do an ls on the directory the files are zipped into,
> one of the files has a name of Merchant Lot 1 Photo.jpg

> This zipfile was created on a win95 machine that allows long file names.
> I have tryed to figure out how to rename these files to files with one
> name to them.
> when I typed, mv Merchant Lot 1 Photo.jpg merchantlot.jpg

Try:
% mv Merchant\ Lot\ 1\ Photo.jpg merchantlot.jpg

It works under tcsh. Anyways, any shell that knows about filename
completion will complete the filename to a compatible filename.

> I was told that the files Merchant Lot 1 Photo.jpg could not be found.

> How does one go about accessing these files with  such long names?
> I have even tryed inserting . _ marks, but nothing works.

Normal. Marks and dots and such will make a different filename, in tcsh,
'\' is the escape char, which means "the following must be treated as
such".

|  Free the world from businessmen  |
|   Free yourself from your money   |