Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 09:52:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preemptive kernel on older X86 hardware

:> processors might not be required. I'll propose the following as it
:> reduces the work required:
:>
:>         Once FreeBSD has a preemptive kernel FreeBSD will only run on
:>         Pentium or better X86 processors.
:
:We had a lot of trouble already making people give up on their MFM/RLL
:controllers!
:
:Personally, I think this is the way to go, but not before 6.0. If 5.0
:doesn't work on 486's, there'll be hell to pay.
:
:--
:Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)

    Woa everyone, before this blows up into an unnecessary flamefest...

    Nobody is advocating scrapping the 386 for UP kernels.  Even when/if
    the kernel becomes threaded, it still probably will not be preemptive
    but even if it were we are not going to be throwing cmpexg instructions
    in mainline *UP* code.  If some of the imported code happens to do that,
    it's trivial to fix with #ifdef's for 386/486 support.

    For SMP kernels I don't think it's worth supporting either the 386 or
    the 486.

							-Matt