Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 1996 23:00:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org, george@lincc.lincc.lib.or.us
Subject:   Re: Time Server Setup - xntpd

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Nik Clayton wrote:

> If my reading of the man pages and /etc/rc is correct, then I have two
> options if I want to keep accurate time on my machines, and have access to
> a time server somewhere (which I do).
>
> 1. I can run timed(8) at startup, which will slowly synchronise my clock to
>    the master time server.

This seems to depend on the /etc/networks system, and uses TSP ('Time
Synchonization Protocol'), not NTP, the more recognized 'Network Time
Protocol.'

> 2. I can run a combination of tickadj(8) to set the optimum value for
>    tickadj in the kernel, then I can run ntpdate(8) to set the initial
>    date and time to a correct value, and finally I run xntpd(8) to keep
>    the clock in sync with the master server.

This seems more complex than it really is.  I just set up /etc/ntp.conf to
point it in the right direction, run xntpd in sysconfig and it keeps the
system on track.  xntpd already uses the tickadj system for small time
updates and explicit sets for dates that are too far off.