Date:      Sun, 05 Jul 1998 15:12:43 -0400
From:      Toby Swanson <toby@milkyway.org>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: do I need a POP server for this?

On Sun, 5 Jul 1998, Dan Langille wrote:

> . . . I'd like to set my freebsd box up so that I can read the mail which fbsd generates
> (the logs etc). . . . But which one would you recommend given what I wish to do?

If you want to read FreeBSD mail from your NT box(es), you
could just telnet to the FreeBSD box and use a mail reader.  To use
a reader on an NT box you would need to install a "post office".
I use qpopper.  I believe the Makefile is included with FreeBSD,
but not the source code.  If your FreeBSD box is connected to the
internet the make process will retrieve what it needs from
Qualcomm's server.  I have "cd to /ports/mail/popper" then
"cp -rp * /usr/popper and run make there" in my notes.  I seem to
remember just running make while in the /ports/mail/popper
directory tries to install qpopper on the CD, which fails obviously.
The README file explains how to modify your system to get the
pop3 server running.

Tell us how it goes.

Toby