Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:09:47 -0700
From:      Joe Modjeski <jmodjeski@ms1.northlink.com>
To:        "'freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   to Vinum or not to Vinum

Currently we have 3 Compaq Proliant 1600R servers with 6 9.1 Ultra3 drives
in each.  We are attempting (very unsuccessfully) to do Raid5 with vinum.
We get fatal trap 12 errors very regularly and after a few reboots the vinum
volume is so chewed up that we end up having to rebuild the system.  I
tracked down the majority of the problems to the /etc/security script.  I
believe it is about the 6th or 7th line down where it starts the find run.
The box starts off fine but after about 1 minute it starts to hit all the
drives at once then BLAM!! It gives me the error.

The error can also happen eratically for no apparent reason.  Like while
uploading a file via ftp.  Maybe a 1 or 2 Meg file.  Then there are times
when it should happen but it doesn't like making MySQL with  gmake -j90.

The SCSI adaper that comes with the machine is Symbios 835c876.  The hotswap
controller is also a Symbios ( I forgot the number ).  We have tried
swapping in an adaptec 2940UW but the error actually gets worse.

The other option that has come up is to install a DPT SmartRaid IV card.
The after I suggested it the bossman found a few people that mailed list
quite a few months ago having problems with the card, Aug '99.  Have these
problems been worked out?  Does anybody have some success/failure stories to
share with me so I have some ammo one way or another.

These boxes are about a month late for deadline, and the boss is starting to
think Linux will be the big solution (Makes stomach turn).  They are
replacement Authentication and Webservers, so stability is a MAJOR concern.
I would like to avoid the 2AM calls.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Joe Modjeski
Administrator
jmodjeski@northlink.com

Northlink LLC