Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 11:29:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>, Peter Wemm <peter@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS HEADS UP (was Re: cvs commit: src/sys/nfs nfsm_subs.h xdr_subs.h)

:>     global references across subroutine calls!  I'll send Luoqi another email.
:>
:>     In the case of the NFS stuff, the changes have been pretty well tested
:>     so I think we are in the clear.
:
:On a somewhat similar note, what do you think about converting a lot
:of the NFS macros to functions, yes i know it will be difficult, but
:there is so much forced inlining it just seems like it would reduce
:the codesize signifigantly and play nicer with the CPU cache.
:
:It would also make the code a lot more readable.
:
:Worthwhile exercise?
:
:-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|bright@wintelcom.net]

    Well, the issue with converting many of the macros to inline functions
    is with the embedded goto's and references to variables defined outside
    the macros.  Converting them to functions would basically require
    rewriting a huge chunk of NFS code.

    This is one of those "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" scenarios, I'm
    afraid.  It would take too long to redo it all (and remember, I'm the
    guy who usually *likes* rewriting code!).  As much as I would like to
    make NFS more readable, it just isn't worth the effort.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>