Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 22:46:23 -0400
From:      Drew Derbyshire <software@kew.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: zp0 not receiving under 2.2.7?

Hmmm .... (read entire message before responding!)

Mike Smith wrote:
> > As it is, however, the pccardd message doesn't tell me what the
> > problem is.
>
> No, but it can often tell us what's going on (most of the time).  There
> are three messages you're likely to get:
>
>  - "no driver found for ..." meaning your pccard.conf file entry is
>     wrong.
>  - "resource allocation failed for ..." meaning that the resource
>    information in your pccard.conf file conflicts with the
>    configuration entry you've selected from the card
>  - "driver allocation failed for ..." meaning that the driver probe
>    failed, or the kernel disagrees with you as to the resources that
>    you've assigned to the card (ie. they're in use elsewhere).

Bingo.

> > I presume zp0 should at least get the system on to my network.  I don't swap
> > cards, really.
>
> It *should* work, yes.  The lack of incoming packets does suggest an
> interrupt problem of some sort though.

Windows claims the card is using 0x300 and IRQ 5 (my new home for it), the
card configuration program claims I'm using same, and FreeBSD is configured
for same.  No joy.  pccardc dumpcis reporting amusing things, I can't seem to
pick the actual configuration out of it.

(pccardc is missing a man page, BTW)

I am able to get the system see my USR PC Card modem at SIO2/IRQ 11, via a
nice fresh entry.

Hmmm.   One more try, change the "?" to the explicit IRQ I want ... WHAMMO,
ep0 works.  Well, *was* "?" legal?

--
Drew Derbyshire         UUPC/extended e-mail:  software@kew.com
                                   Telephone:  617-279-9812

 This message intentionally left almost blank.