Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 1999 10:26:22 +0000
From:      David Pick <D.M.Pick@qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Matt Gostick <matt@crazylogic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ethernet promiscuous mode.

Hypothesising, anything that wants to be less specific than usual
about the destination IP address might use promiscuous mode:
 * user-mode BOOTP client
 * user-mode DHCP client
 * multi-cast reception
 * packet sniffer
 * intrusion detection system (to sniff packets!)
 * &c, &c

> 30 minutes later when I did ifconfig -a the vr0 device was not in
> PROMISC mode...

Are you *sure*? If someone *has* "cracked" you and installed a rootkit
"ifconfig" might have been replaced by a modified version that does
not report the true facts - I'd reccommend (at least) deliberately
putting the interface into promiscuous mode yourself and double-
checking that "ifconfig" reports the fact correctly...

--
	David Pick