Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 1995 07:00:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@legarto.minn.net>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Check the date and time at boot

> >What I did was write a small program to check/record the system
> >date in a file in the root file system.  At boot time, the
>
> Use the timestamp in the super block of the root file system.
>
> Bruce

I would rather not.  What happens if I boot single user after
some type of maintenance (likely after fiddling with CMOS settings)
and mount the root file system rw and make changes?  I've now updated the
super-block timestamp, and anything in /etc/rc will never detect that
the date may be be off when the system is booted multi-user.  I've seen
this exact same situation on another Unix system I used to manage that
was checking the super-block time, and we re-did the program to use its
own data file for just this reason.

Plus, running the update program once an hour on its own data file lets
it check that the clock has stayed sane since the last run.  If the
clock gets corrupted while the system is running, the super-block
timestamp will now track this bogus time and thus be undetectable
by /etc/rc.

Also, do we support NFS mounted root file systems for diskless
machines?  If so, then this is another reason why the super-block
timestamp couldn't be used.

Re: Rod's comments

As some other people have already pointed out, not everyone is
connected to the net, or has a reliable enough connection to
depend on ntpdate & friends to fix the time at boot time if it is
in error.  Even if you do have a good connection, network problems
may prevent the time programs from correcting the date until long
after the system has been up and running for a while.
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@legarto.minn.net