Date:      Tue, 27 Sep 2016 11:45:03 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        "freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org" <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Update on using LLVM's lld linker in the FreeBSD base system

On 1 August 2016 at 17:40, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Over the past year or so I have been investigating the state of LLVM's
> lld linker for use in the FreeBSD base system, to see if it could be
> used as FreeBSD's system linker.

A quick update: most of the required changes have now made it into
LLD, and I'm currently testing with an unmodified upstream LLD. I can
now build world and kernel with an out-of-tree LLD (setting XLD=...),
when using these src.conf knobs:

WITHOUT_BINUTILS
WITHOUT_BINUTILS_BOOTSTRAP
WITHOUT_BOOT
WITHOUT_RESCUE

There's some upstream work in progress that may address the the boot
issue, or at least part of it. Rescue will still be left for later.

LLD 3.9 will be available once dim@'s clang390-import branch is merged
to FreeBSD HEAD. Although it's a bit older than the LLD HEAD snapshot
I've been using for my testing, it will facilitate further testing and
experimentation with LLD (e.g. testing ports builds).