Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:40:16 -0600
From:      Andrew Falanga <af300wsm@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Having trouble getting cups working

HI,

I've never actually tried to install cups before and last night decided to
give it a try because I was not having much success getting my printer
working using the handbook directions.  (I got it all setup correctly,
obviously something is incorrect but stay with me, and although I could get
stuff to print when I did 'cat <somefile> > /dev/lp0' I couldn't get anything
to print when I submitted to lpd.)

So, I installed cups from ports, and setup my HP LaserJet 4+.  All seemed to
go well.  At first I had a problem with an error, something like "unknown
application/postscript."  Anyway, some digging on the internet revealed that
I needed ESP Ghostscript installed.  So, I got that and that error went away.
Now, however, I still cannot get it to print.

When I try to submit the printer test page from the web management interface,
it says, "network host 'sniper' busy: will retry in X seconds."  The URI I'm
using for my printer is, lpd://sniper/lj4.  The printer is connected to my
parallel port and I think this is what I want because the other options are
whatever it is that cups calls JetDirect and then IPP and something else.

Anyway, if someone could please point me in the correct direction I'd
appreciate it greatly.

Thanks,
Andy