Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 11:13:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        support@ns.computer.net (Technical Support)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help!

[ ... unable to link /kernel into place ... ]

You don't say which version you are trying to install.

If it's 2.1 or earlier, and you specified that you wanted to write
the fdisk or disklabel information, this is probably the problem;
you have to let the install write it for you instead of writing
it yourself from inside the utilities off the menu.

If your system is running *only* FreeBSD on the disk, you will
probably want to boot with a DOS floppy, do an fdisk/MBR to blow
the boot record, run fdisk to remove the BSD partition, and then
reinstall.

If you do this, do *not* install the boot manager and do *not*
say "write" for the fdisk or disklabel from the menu.

This is all covered in the handbook (which you can get at on
www.freebsd.org using a web browser).

If you run DOS at all, it's not safe to fdisk/mbr, since you
might also have OnTrack or other software that you would destroy.

You might already have destroyed tis software by installing the
boot manager from the install disk instead of installing it using
the DOS install program after booting DOS>

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.