Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2001 21:33:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        "Andre Hall" <ahall@pcgameauthority.com>
Cc:        "Dragos Ruiu" <dr@kyx.net>, "Christopher Farley" <chris@northernbrewer.com>, "Fenix" <fenix@xs4some.net>, <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   [security] Re: sendmail vs. postfix question

[various, deleted]

I must say that I actually understand sendmail at a low level.  Back
in '92 (before many alternatives were viable) I did signifcant raw .cf
hacking that I am confident modern alternatives would not be able to
grok.  But those problems were extrodinary...

Last year, I installed one of our machines with postfix.  Since then,
I have been happy and when opportunity has presented itself, I have
loaded other machines with postfix in our network.  It performs well,
and I have only had minor issues.

- recently rmail changed the flags it uses.  Caused some coniptions
   before I relized what was causing delivery failure.  Luckily uucp
   saves failed data.

- One machine mysteriously "looses" the postfix master process.  It's
   still running, but not working ... and (annoyingly) at a different
   PID than "postfix reload" expects it to be.  I havn't got a fix for
   this one yet.

- You can't get "real" status from Postfix.

The latter is apparently a design issue.  With little daemons doing
little jobs, it's difficult to get the type of status info that you
get from ps -axww about sendmail.

That said, only one major machine in our network is left running
sendmail.  It will likely fall.  I could fix what I don't like about
it with .cf hacking, but postfix does it's job better and has more
direct configuration for it's issue.

In short, I like the security of non-root processing (esp. for
smptd).  I like the simple configuration and speed.  I don't like that
I can't tell that a certain smtp instance is talking to a certain host
X.

Dave.