Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 11:00:04 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@ice.cold.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sendmail picking default hostname to send from??

Ok, I have a machine with a few aliases (specifically five aliases, one
primary ip).  I want to know WHAT sendmail uses to decide is its real
hostname?  Its really starting to bug me, as I can't figure it out--and
its not using the primary name.  My system is aliased with the
names:

inet cold.org
alias ice.cold.org
alias surname.org
alias solv.com
alias gillespie.surname.org
alias roguetrader.com

Sendmail is setup with a directive:

Fw-o /etc/sendmail/Hosts

Where the Hosts file contains:

   cold.org
   ice.cold.org
   www.cold.org
   mail.cold.org
   adsolv.com
   www.adsolv.com
   mail.adsolv.com
   solv.com
   www.solv.com
   mail.solv.com
   surname.org
   www.surname.org
   mail.surname.org
   roguetrader.com

Now, I'm thourougly confused, as sometimes when sendmail fires up it picks
'ice.cold.org' and sometimes it picks 'roguetrader.com'.  In general this
isn't a big deal, except for when I'm mailing to restricted lists that
expect your address to stay the same--since its not I can't post often.

Help?

-Brandon Gillespie