Date:      Sun, 08 Jul 2007 13:35:54 +0300
From:      yurtesen@ispro.net
To:        Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 100s of xorg ports, will there be an xorg-base port?

Quoting Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>:

> On Saturday, 7. July 2007, Evren Yurtesen wrote:
>
>> > Please explain what the problem is.  If you choose to install the xorg
>> > metaport then the ports system will automatically fetch and install the
>> > dependencies.  Exactly what aren't "most people" happy about?
>>
>> I guess it is mostly psychological but people do not tend to like a lot
>> of ports installed with each app as usually this means more difficulties
>> when upgrading etc. Maybe this is superficial but at the least it is
>> discouraging people from using X with FreeBSD or upgrading to 7.2.
>> People are not happy because of the simple reason that one has to
>> install 300-400 more ports (especially without a possibilit to select
>> what to not to install) to get X running nowadays.
>
> I believe this is pretty much a non-issue. X.org hasn't really grown in
> complexity (at least as far as the end-user is concerned) or size just
> because the monolithic ports are no more. I am rather certain future X.org
> updates won't be nearly as involved, if at all, as the monolithic 6.9 ->
> modular 7.2 transition.
>
> Also I suspect you underestimate the problems a stripped down installation=
 of
> X.org can bring on machines running the actual server, which seems to the
> kind of installations you have in mind. X.org is not very good yet at tell=
ing
> exactly what is missing if some particular feature/extension or driver the
> user wants happens not to be installed, neither are most users familiar
> enough with X to make a well-informed decision what components they really
> want when faced with an options menu.
>
> Augmenting X.org with some sort of plug'n'play front-end for hardware
> detection and automatic driver installation therefore might be a worthwhil=
> project, but it's probably outside the scope of a port Makefile.

You have a point, but what I am asking is at least an options dialog. =20
As well all components can be selected by default if you are worried =20
that user cant choose right components, and you can warn the user that =20
if they deselect some then things might get broken. The user should =20
have a choice.

Also, a stripped down X is possible. If lets say we install KDE and it =20
requires more components then they could be installed automatically =20
with KDE install. A good example I know is PHP port. PHP normally =20
installs a stripped down version without any extensions, however when =20
you install some port like lets say squirrelmail, then some extensions =20
are installed automatically. As well, when PHP is installed, it asks =20
if you waht the CLI or module etc. the user can make a mistake and =20
install wrong things there too.

It all comes down to having a choice, from what I see in forums and =20
mailing list entries that people complain about X installing too many =20
ports. By giving them a choice of what is installed or not, even if =20
all selected by default, you can stop people from complaining. When =20
they have a choice to not to install so many ports, at least they cant =20
complain because it was their choice to install all :D
Plus, the people who know what they are doing can clean up their =20
systems by not installing unnecessary ports.

I know, you will say that the same stuff was installed before anyway =20
but it just looks way more when it is installing 100+ ports now. :)

Thanks,
Evren