Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 15:07:26 -0400
From:      almighty@neont.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   User-process PPP setup

        Okay... nice problem here. I am using user-process PPP. I am
attempting to make a simple dialup connection to my ISP. During FTP install,
the PPP worked fine. Then I switched ISPs back to my original ISP. Now I
updated all the information I could find, including name server info in the
resolv.conf file. I try to run PPP. Modem dials, connects beautifully (under
term). When I was doing ftp install it KNEW when to switch to packet mode. I
had to do it manually. Okay, no big deal. Now it says PPP ON, so I think
everything is working. I do a show routes, and I see a localhost route, a
route from my gateway to me, and some strange route from the gateway I used
for the original install. And any inet app i try to run gives me either
"cant resolve domain" or "no route to host" so basically what I need is
information on every little setting I could possibly edit and where I can
find it. Cause theres a lot of ghosted settings and stuff that I dont know
how to change, and that could be causing me probs. Also, what do I put in
ppp.linkup? Thanks for any help you can provide.

                                                             Bill Johnson
                                                             almighty@neont.com