From:      "Mark B. Withers" <mwithers@one.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   kernel config questions

Folks,

I must once more ask some assistance in configuring my kernel.

There is a section in the config file I am creating, which deals with
all the ata and atapi devices:

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata0    at isa0 port IO_WD1 irq 14
device          ata1    at isa0 port IO_WD2 irq 15
# Replaced the above values from a question mark to a 0 as in 'isa?'.
# Hope like hell it works. :|

Do I need all of these devices? When I type 'dmesg' at the command
prompt, the only of these devices I ever see mentioned is ata0 and
ata1, but none of the others. So do I need any of them or should I
just comment the lot of them out?

Also...see my comment below the lines that begin with "device ata0".
Is it correct to fill out the devie name as in "isa0" instead of what
was in there as "isa?" ?

If I don't need any of the following, I can just comment them out
right?

device          ata

I know that I need the ata device. It IS mentioned in dmesg. :)

The following, however I am a bit undecided upon:

device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives

I do have an ATAPI cdrom drive, however in dmesg it calls it "acd0"
and no mention of "atapicd" as shown above.

device          atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
device          atapist                 # ATAPI tape drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering

I see no evidence of these devices in the output of "dmesg".

Once again, I am in your debt and thank you for your consideration.

Mark