Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 01:31:58 -0700
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NGROUPS_MAX in sys/syslimits.h

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 08:57:53AM +0100, Paul Herman wrote:

> I never understood the reasoning behind each user having their own
> group (with their login name).  Does anyone use this to their
> advantage?  A huge "user" or "users" group that each user belongs to
> was always the way to go for me.

You make their home directories be owned by their personal group
(e.g. mph:mph) and you create groups for collaborative projects to
which several users belong.  Directories with project files are owned
by the project group (e.g. mph:project69).  The users run with
umask 002 and everything's group writable.

The result is that the files in the project's directory are writable
by the correct group without the user having to explictly set umask
or permissions.  The files in the user's home directory are writable only
by him, because there's nobody else in his personal group.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * UNIX is a lever for the
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           * intellect. -J.R. Mashey