Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 1995 11:22:29 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        tweten@frihet.com
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, spaz@u.washington.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 115200 hangs my modem :-(

David E. Tweten stands accused of saying:
> > It's possiuble to convince a 16550 to clock at ~115200Kbps, yes.  It's a
> > Really Bad Idea, but people persist in doing it.  (If you want to know why,
> > read the datasheet.)
>
> Okay.  I have the datasheet (although 22 pages is a bit large for a "sheet")
> and I've read it.  The way I read it, 115200 Kbps with a 1.8432 MHz crystal
> calls for a divisor of one, which is acceptable up to crystal frequencies up
> to 4 MHz (section 8.3, paragraph 1, sentence 2).
>
> Care to provide any hints?  Like page and paragraph numbers?

MHA; I misremembered two things: The warning in 8.3 is actually for a
divisor of _0_, and the 16550 divides to a 16x sampling clock, rather than
having a fixed sampling clock and dividing it to produce a bit rate.

On rereading, there shouldn't be anything wrong with 115200.

> David E. Tweten           |  PGP Key fingerprint =        |  tweten@frihet.com

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[