Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:02:34 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Lawrence Mayer dsg <Lawrence.Mayer@dsg.ki.se>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: site down? releng4.freebsd.org

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> > > 1. Has the site been down?
>
> It's undergoing a hardware upgrade, last I heard.

May I suggest posting a newsflash to that effect, for example at
http://www.freebsd.org/news/newsflash.html? That notice could contain
(a) the estimated date when releng4 will be back up and (b) a link to
ftp://snapshots.jp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386

> Another part of the FreeBSD Project also generates -STABLE snapshots:
> http://snapshots.jp.freebsd.org/

May I suggest adding
ftp://snapshots.jp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386 to
www.freebsdmirrors.org/FBSDsites.php3?showi386snaps=3Ddo
That would update FreeBSD's mirror database, which has value in its own
right, whether or not releng4 is down. At the moment, as far is I can
tell, the above mirror database contains no entries at all for mirrors of
STABLE snapshots.

> I think the situation is not as dire as you believe it is.  If you read
> the errata carefully, it also lists a workaround that does not require
> an update to 4-STABLE.  The text above was originally written by Matt
> Dillon and edited by myself; I'm pretty sure that Matt didn't intend
> this as a recommendation for everyone to run 4-STABLE.  I sure don't
> interpret this as such.
>
> Hmmm.  Despite its name, 4-STABLE is still a branch in development.  I
> personally don't recommend running it unless you're willing to track
> its development by reading the freebsd-stable@ mailing list, and you
> have a little experience with running and administering FreeBSD
> machines already.
>
> If you're a new FreeBSD user, I'd advise you to run 4.5-RELEASE (being
> careful to read the errata document, which you have already done, to see
> what outstanding issues may affect you).  Once you've got a little
> experience with FreeBSD, you can make an informed decision as to
> whether or not running 4-STABLE is right for you at any given point in
> time.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Bruce.

I greatly appreciate your answers and will consider them carefully. In
fact, it makes me feel somewhat guilty, getting such a prompt, thoughtful
answer from a FreeBSD developer. What did I do to deserve that?

Anyway, thank you very much for your reply. I've never used Unix before in
my life. This will be my very first installation. I look forward to trying
FreeBSD, and I hope that I will be able to contribute to the project in
some way in the future.

Warm Regards,
Lawrence Mayer <lawmay@ki.se>
Ume=E5, Sweden