Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:59:51 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        mjna@mail.telepac.pt, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, articles@daemonnews.org
Subject:   Re: Gartner on Linux and FreeBSD

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > An excellent summary, with accurate viewpoints.  I don't agree with his
> > summary; I fail to see how anyone is going to help their bottom line
> > by trying to shoe-horn Winders NT into a "thin" server, but all in
> > all this is a great article for FreeBSD.
> >
> > That's why I've cc'd Daemon News, so this can be added to the News Bytes.
>
> The part I though was silly was the "Thin Server OS Recommendations"
> table, specifically:

> Thin Server Type      OS Choice         Reasoning
>                                         Both provide open platform with
>                       First: Linux      stable, relaiable TCP/IP stacks.
> Intranet Thin Server  Second: FreeBSD   FreeBSD provides intellectual
>                                         property protection.
>
> Uh, am I missing something?

No, but the author is: a CLUE!

>         "FreeBSD protects your intellectual property; use Linux
>          instead, because you don't want that for some strange
>          reason."

I think he was going along the lines of "intranet server == something you
run a database engine on and develop custom apps."  This thought was
closely followed by "Linux has more/better application development tools,"
which is certainly a questionable assumption.

But all in all, it's still the best evaluation I've ever seen from one of
the "stuffed suit" organizations.  Compare this to the idiocies, fallacies,
and outright lies contained in the "Halloween" memo.

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                     +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                  wes@softweyr.com