Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 2014 19:40:37 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   History file for dialog C shell (t)csh

I have a question regarding shell history when running several
shell instances. The C shell (still) is my primary interactive
shell. It stores commands in ~/.history. But as I'm using more
than one shell instance (in fact, 5+ shells is the norm here,
called inside X terminals), I find that the history file only
contains commands from one of those shells, even though the history
of each indivual shell can recall previous commands. At the end,
only one shell's commands are stored in the history file, so
after a reboot for example, all shells have _that_ specific
history.

My question sounds stupid, even to me: Is there a way to have
individual shell history files for each shell instance? I don't
even have an idea of how to make the association shell<->history
for later re-identification... it already sounds confusing...

Or on the other hand, is it possible to have all shells send
their history to a common history file?

Or should I simply switch over to a different shell? ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany