Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:04:47 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        maryrnandi@aol.com
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD without floppies & without CD-ROM

--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g

Hello,
I am not a newbie but please lemme ask a newbie-type question.
A friend of mine wants to cross the floor from M$ to FreeBSD. She has a
laptop (God knows where this thing came from) called @Book. Yes, that is
the brand name on it.=20
It was given her by a friend without a floppy drive. I do not have a
CD-ROM with FreeBSD. For one this laptop's BIOS does not allow a setting
where one can boot from a CD-ROM - I looked at it throroughly but it did
not have, I swear.=20
Now in the absence of a floppy drive I am in a dilemna on HOWTO install
FreeBSD on this thing.
I can borrow an PCMCIA Ethernet card from a friend but still I am not sure
how that will help me. The laptop has Win 98 running.
Is there a way I can connect it to the LAN, copy the FreeBSD files into
it, mangle the boot loader then kill Win98 and have it boot FreeBSD
exclusively? Or will I be committing suicide?
And just in case she gets bored with FreeBSD and wants to return to M$
Windows, is there a way to ensure that all this is taken into account, so
that it will be a painless process??=20

TIA

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

It is wonderful to be here in the great state of Chicago... -Dan Quayle, US=
=20
Vice President=20

--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g

--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g--