Date:      Sat, 4 Apr 1998 07:38:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      dave adkins <adkin003@tc.umn.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>, current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Working patch *with* splhigh() (Was Re: More info RE: X slowdown in -current)

On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Ok, I have spent too much of the night already on this, lets take another
> attack, can you try out this kernel patch:
>
> Poul-Henning

The patch fixs the select problem with netscape. I'm curious what the
problem was. The patch was big enough that I couldn't tell what exactly it
fixed. All the simple select test cases I tried worked fine with
sys_generic.c/select() v1.35 and and with the patch back to
v1.33+getmicrotime() and with your new patch. What is netscape doing that
broke with v1.35?

I was away from a computer for the last day and a half. Sorry if the
orginal patch I posted caused you any trouble. It was just demonstrate
that the netscape slow down was in select(), not a proper solution to the
problem. I guess I should have added a disclaimer.

dave adkins