Date:      Mon, 03 Mar 2014 19:37:04 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andreas_Gl=E4ser?= <andreas.glaeser@vodafone.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   BSD-based Privoxy-Squid Surfwall on USB-key

------enig2LDQUONLXVMWQDMKOAQJE

My original intention was to replace my print-server, which was a bit
slow, when processing graphics, with a better one and switch to FreeBSD.
I chose a HP-t5540 thin-client, because it features gigabit-ethernet and
an SATA-controller [see picture], a parallel-port and it is quite
energy-saving.
The installation was the hardest part, it cost two days of trial and
error, especially the disk-partitioning could be better documented, then
setting up CUPS, Privoxy chained with Squid was pretty much of a
bread-and-butter job.
I made an XZ-compressed image of my SD-card and uploaded it to the
Ubuntu-cloud:

http://ubuntuone.com/6FflUlks0EBv7eQuBXPpcO

It is not meant to be a ready-made distribution, but it will drastically
ease system-installation, because all you have to do is uncompress the
image and dd it onto a 16GB SD-card or USB-Flashdrive, use in virtual
machines is also possible, I guess.
BSD has the same problem there as Linux, that the network-card is not
working initially, when booting the image on different hardware.
I tried it on my older Pentium-M-based notebook and had to change 'vge0'
to 'bge0' there in '/etc/rc.conf', followed by
'# /etc/rc.d/netif restart && /etc/rc.d/routing restart'
You will have to choose a static IP-address, that fits into your local
network and set the network/netmask accordingly in
'/usr/local/etc/squid/squid.conf' in line 10.
In your webbrowser you have to set the respective IP of the machine as
network-proxy with port 3128.
That is all.
It is a good proof of concept in my opinion, I chose FreeBSD, because I
have Debian-workstations and I feel, not each and every machine needs to
run Debian/Linux and diversity is favourable.
I also tried this on FSC-Futro-S400, but 'powerd' seems to have a
problem there, also with the current FBSD-version.
I recommend to use Privoxy together with the AdBlock-plus browser-plugin.=

Cheers, all !

root-password is:	toor
		       =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Compressed file size:	1231442556
MD5sum:			377b129641e7408d63538c7815db5078  p-sw.img.xz
Uncompressed size:	15819866112

Links:

http://www.privoxy.org/user-manual/config.html [Section 7.5.3]
https://www.antagonism.org/web/squid-proxy.shtml
http://taggedzi.com/articles/display/working-with-squid-and-privoxy

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ConfiguringSquid
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SecurityPitfalls

BSD-Networking:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/freebsd-how-to-change-ip-address-or-setup-n=
ew-ip-address-to-existing-interface.html
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/freebsd-how-to-start-restart-stop-network-s=
ervice.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2004/05/13/FreeBSD_Basics.html?page=3D2

--=20