Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 1996 05:48:52 -0800
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, wpaul@freebsd.org
Cc:        dfr@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weirdie in mountd perhaps you can help me with...

On Nov 8,  4:43am, "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
} Subject: Weirdie in mountd perhaps you can help me with...
} I've been running this way all day, and just now reproduced one
} of the failures, which was the "long hang" (I haven't had it outright die yet,
} thought it's been mysteriously HUP'd twice by the system when an *outgoing*
} mount request was made, and for no reason that I can see).  The debugger
} shows the following stack trace:
}
} #0  0x27345 in select ()
} #1  0x18bbc in res_send ()
} #2  0x168c7 in res_query ()
} #3  0x1057a in _gethostbydnsaddr ()
} #4  0xf6c0 in gethostbyaddr ()
} #5  0x1d2d in mntsrv (rqstp=0xefbfda1c, transp=0x4d080)
}     at /usr/src/sbin/mountd/mountd.c:413
} #6  0xa082 in svc_getreqset ()
} #7  0x48db in svc_run ()
} #8  0x1a39 in main (argc=1, argv=0xefbfdadc)
}     at /usr/src/sbin/mountd/mountd.c:317
}
} Where it appears to be hanging in res_send()'s select.  This, after a long
} interval, finally does time out and drops us back to mountd's usual select,
} e.g.:

Define "long hang".  How many name servers are listed in /etc/resolv.conf?
Are the name servers responding to queries in a reasonable amount of time?

			---  Truck