Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 2009 01:22:07 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changing cpuset of jail from inside of jail - is it feature?

Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

[...]

> Ok, I am not sure what is going wrong here; well I know but I don't
> know if it's intended in cpuset.  Trying to talk to the right people
> but they seen to be AWOL atm.
>

> If you are brave, you could try:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bz/20090423-01-cpuset-jails.diff
>
> I haven't even compiled it yet. It may work, it may not work, it may
> make your machine panicing, ... just to warn you.
>
> it should still allow you to create further sets within a jail but you
> should not be able to change the "root set" of the jail from inside
> the jail anymore (in case it works;)

I did just a quick test. (OK, not so quick, because compilation inside
Qemu on my old PC takes 2 hours ;])
It compiles without problems and did what I expect:

root@72-rc1 ~/# jls
    JID  IP Address      Hostname                      Path
      1                  alpha.test                    /usr/jail/alpha

root@72-rc1 ~/# jexec 1 tcsh

root@alpha //# cpuset -l 0 -j 1
cpuset: setaffinity: Operation not permitted

root@alpha //# cpuset -l 0 -r -j 1
cpuset: setaffinity: Operation not permitted

I have no real multicore machine to test it more deeply. (can't test it
on production servers and spare machine is blocked by another task)

Will this fix be included in 7.2-RELEASE or is it too late to commit
this fix?

Miroslav Lachman