Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 10:02:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        bugs@freebsd.org
Cc:        marc@enginet.com
Subject:   Re: 4.4-RC cvsup-bin now missing, cvsup port broken?

In article <200109061656.JAA10873@enginet.com>,
Marc Frajola  <marc@enginet.com> wrote:
>     I just tried to install cvsup using the August 30 FreeBSD stable
> snapshot 4.4-RC build, and found that /usr/ports/net/cvsup-bin is no
> longer in the ports tree. It was deleted with the following log
> message:
>
> 	date: 2001/07/21 19:02:53;  author: jdp;  state: dead;  lines: +1 -1
> 	Remove the cvsup-bin and cvsupd-bin ports.  They are both hard to
> 	maintain and redundant.  They are hard to maintain because binaries
> 	are for all practical purposes impossible to patch.  They are
> 	redundant because the cvsup and cvsup-devel packages have the same
> 	functionality.  Note that these packages are now stand-alone in
> 	the sense that they do not depend on any Modula-3 ports.  That
> 	eliminates the original rationale for the cvsup-bin and cvsupd-bin
> 	ports.
>
> 	I have fixed all ports which used to depend on cvsup-bin or cvsupd-bin
> 	so that they now depend on the cvsup port.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>     So I tried installing cvsup, which did attempt to build Modula-3,
> despite the above comment about cvsup not depending on Modula-3
> anymore.

Read it again: "Note that these packages are now stand-alone ..."
                                ^^^^^^^^

That's "packages" -- not "ports".  The packages are specially built
to be statically linked.

>     Then the Modula-3 build proceeded for about 25 minutes and failed;
> the build trace just before and including the failure is below.
[...]
> m3ship: quake error: unable to open "/usr/ports/lang/pm3-base/work/pm3-1.1.15/network/tcplibs/tcp/FreeBSD4//FreeBSD4" for reading

One other person reported this problem, on one and only one of his
systems.  Unfortunately, I can't reproduce it and I don't have a clue
what would cause it to happen.

John